Six Nations free TV rule may devastate rugby - WRU

2 years ago 101
ARTICLE AD BOX

Wales' Nick Tompkins after the Rugby World Cup 2023 quarter final match at Stade de Marseille, FranceImage source, PA Media

Image caption,

The 2023 Rugby World Cup was shown on ITV

By Gareth Lewis and David Deans

BBC Wales

Moving the Six Nations to a protected list of free-to-air TV events could devastate Welsh rugby, the Welsh Rugby Union said.

Senedd members on Wednesday are expected to back calls for the tournament to be included in the so-called "crown jewels" list.

But the WRU's Chief Executive Abi Tierney said it would restrict how much the sport could earn from TV rights.

A vote - triggered by the Welsh Conservatives - will be held later.

Any decision would ultimately rest with the UK government, which only recently rejected such calls.

But last year, a UK government minister told the same committee that if the Senedd could make a strong case, then the matter was not necessarily closed.

Welsh politicians are hoping it will be added to the group A list of events, which are offered to the main free-to-air broadcasters on "fair and reasonable terms".

The current BBC and ITV deal to broadcast the tournament expires next year, which has sparked concerns that live games could become subscription only, as have the autumn internationals.

Currently the Six Nations is in group B, which can go behind a paywall as long as there are free-to-air highlights.

Image source, WRU

Image caption,

Abi Tierney said the game had to be sustainable

In a letter to a committee of the Welsh Parliament, Ms Tierney said: "Put simply, the negative financial implications of moving international rugby matches in the Six Nations Rugby Championship to the protected list could have a devastating impact on the whole of the game in Wales in the medium and long term.

"Of course, Welsh rugby holds a unique and special place in our national culture... But we also have responsibility to ensure that both the professional and community games in Wales are sustainable."

Ms Tierney said that over the past five years, 26% of the WRU's income has come from broadcast rights.

She continued: "We need to retain the option to broadcast on subscription services, in order to keep the existing tension in the market.

"Of course, we do not wish to diminish the reach of our game. To the contrary, we need and want to be seen, but there is a balance to be struck."

Abi Tierney and WRU Director of Rugby Nigel Walker will appear in front of the sport and culture committee on Thursday.

Read Entire Article